Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Luis and the Wildfires Torched The Depot Stage

Talk about a warm up band.  Luis threw a spark that ignited the crowd at The Depot in Salt Lake City on Thursday. The dancing, jiving, and bopping erupted, oh, maybe ten seconds after Luis and the Wildfires hit the stage with their electrifying garage rock 'n roll.
Touring with the Reverend Horton Heat, Luis and the Wildfires had nary a mellow song in their lineup. The scene was like being time transported to a 50s sock hop. It's not like I remember the 50s, but I was programmed in my infancy to love their bouncy, animated music. Luis led the band in a non-stop hour of high energy “Chubby Checker” rock n' roll with songs like “Come On Over Baby” and their signature song, “Wildfire.”
photo by Mattfink
The drummer, Ricky McCann, was a total throwback. He reminded me of the pictures of my dad and his friends when they were teens. And … no stonewashed, pre-ripped, or sequined denim for this gang. I didn't know Sears and Roebuck still sold those heavy, dark denim specials with the heavy top stitching.

No question, Luis and the Wildfires overheated the stage and The Depot crowd for the Reverend Horton Heat. The blazing inferno was so hot that nobody even remembered the sub-zero temperatures outside by the time they wrapped their set.
Luis and the Wildfires
Luis Arriaga - Vocals/Rhythm Guitar
Victor Mendez - Bass in yo' Face
Andrew Himmler - Guitar
Ricky McCann - Drums
Set List
Wild in the Head
Heart Shaped Noose
No Me Trates Mal (baby please don't go)
Never Coming Back
I'm a Man
No More Days
Under Your Spell
Won't You Love Me Now
I Can Only Give You Everything
Going Out West
Digital
How Long
La Fiesta
If I Really Bug You
Dance In the Rain
Give Me A Chance
Let's Party


Disclosure: I received a photo pass to this concert.  I did NOT receive compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment