Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Buy Russian Groceries in Brooklyn

Photo courtesy of Phillip Bastian

On my last visit to New York City, I skipped the hardcore touristy stuff like Times Square and the Statue of Liberty. My son took me to Brighton Beach, which is down by Coney Island in Brooklyn. We ended up in a Russian neighborhood. We went to a local grocery store and saw many imported Russian foods. It was a bit of a distance for grocery shopping on a regular basis but it was fun once, and my son bought some things at the store. Even the local businesses such as the Chase bank had words in cyrillic on the signage.


The web site below has a list of the many ethnic neighborhoods in New York City. If you are planning a visit to the Big Apple, pick an afternoon and visit one or two ethnic neighborhoods. Most are accessible by subway. You'll get a whole new flavor of New York ... literally.

http://www.walkingaround.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment