Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm Sure I'm Not the First To Say So, But Petra Rocks!!



My son Phil's Israel trip continues and yesterday included a side trip to see Petra in Jordan. After taking a cab to the Jordanian border, he met a man from Oregon who apparently was even more lost than Phil was.  Just as an aside, Phil was a kid who made maps of the neighborhood all day, so I find it hard to believe he was lost, but I'm sure it's confusing with cultural and language barriers.


Phil and the man from Oregon hired another taxi to take them on a two hour ride to Petra, an ancient rock architectural wonder with a water conduits system.  Petra was the capital city of the Nabataeans, established in approximately 600 BC.
The spectacular features of Petra have led to it being named by BBC as one of 40 places to see before you die, and it is on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Petra was recently voted as one of the Seven Wonders of the World, so definitely a must see on my list, too!




Some of the photos remind me of Hole in the Rock in Papago Park near where I grew up in Arizona or the "rock groups" at Arches National Park in Moab, Utah.  If you like these photos, you may want to look at Phil's other photos using the link below, to see more of Petra and environs, and also Eilat in Israel.

Petra and Eilat





Photography courtesy of Phil Bastian

No comments:

Post a Comment