Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Le potage de betterave est délicieux!

Beet soup is simple to make and oh so good for you!
I'm cooling down from hot (Bikram) yoga this morning and still recovering from that fiery post on economic conditions yesterday.  And I'm enjoying cool, homemade soup.

2 medium beets, washed and with ends cut off  (Trust me - it's not necessary to peel the beets!)
1 white onion, cut in quarters

Place the beets in a medium saucepan with 3" water. Place a lid on the pan and bring water to a boil.  Simmer until tender, about 10-20 minutes.  Add additional water, if needed.  Remove from stove and cool.  When you look at the liquid and the beets, "beet red" will have new meaning, especially if you have never cooked raw beets previously (like me).

Place beets in a blender with liquid from pan.  Puree beets with liquid.  Add onion.  Puree onion with beets.

When I made this soup, I cooked my beets only to the point where I was confident that the blender motor would survive.  But I can do that because I use a Vita Mix, which is akin to any power tool made by Stanley or Craftsman. If you own one or have ever used one, you know what I mean.

If you are creative and adventurous, you may want to add a jalapeno.  I did and it was good!   Other ideas I didn't try but may next time ... olive oil, garlic, and sea salt.

Voila! Le potage de betterave est délicieux!

No comments:

Post a Comment