Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Wedding Was 54 Years Ago ... The Celebration Continues

My parents in the getaway car after their wedding
"It's not getting from A to B. It's not the beginning or the destination that counts. It's the ride in between." 
-- David Baldacci, The Christmas Train

Congratulations to my parents who married 54 years ago today!  What a ride it has been for them ... three children, six grandchildren, about a dozen homes (including that first basement apartment), travel all over the world.  And as their oldest, I've seen nearly the entire journey.

When I was a teenager, I was making "oh brother" comments about a sappy Kenny Rogers love song, at which point my dad informed me that it was possible to feel that way about someone.  "I do," he said.

And my mom has always summed it up this way, "I married my best friend."  Truly he was and is.  They've  been through good times, hard times, and everything in between.  And they're still friends.

Here's a special Kenny Rogers song to celebrate the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment