Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rip Your Strip ... Sounds a Little Racy For Utah

A couple of years ago, 2006 to be exact, I committed to rip my strip.  And I did.  Wow? In Utah, really?  Next thing you know, I'll be taking up pole dancing. 

Not really ... just kidding.  Anyway ...

The goal of the Utah Rivers Council's Rip Your Strip program is to replace thirsty grass in the front sidewalk strips of our Utah neighborhoods with waterwise Xeriscapes.  A landscaper tore out grass, then I added weed prevention covering, planted sun loving perennials, and spread bags and bags and bags and bags of landscaping bark.  The Xeriscape saves on water bills, and I've been extremely pleased with the colorful results.  I'd like to rip out the remaining grass in the front yard and Xeriscape the rest of the yard ... soon.

This year, it's been unseasonably cool in the Salt Lake valley, and my sprinklers will remain off until my very busy but highly skilled sprinkler guy comes next Monday (he has the "key" to my four foot under water valve so, no, I can't do it myself or have someone else take care of it for me).  Fortunately, the perennials in the photos below are thriving in spite of no rain since last week.





No comments:

Post a Comment